This past week has been extremely hectic and depressing. I logged over forty hours of work and still got sick even after receiving the flu shot, but I pressed on. This week was one of reflection and determination. I met with two professors and outlined my reasons for wanting to go to Graduate School. Professor Hagedorn(Criminal Law and Justice Department) gave me key tips on how to succeed. I explained to him what I was currently working on for my senior project and he said I should take his independent research class next semester! If I could get into his class than I know that would be a step in the right direction. He is the type of professor that is a great motivator and allows you think outside the box. He has also encourage not to view things as black and white, but as a plethora of colors. Never take things by its' face value. Friday, I got the chance to meet with Professor Stovall(Sociology Department) before meeting with him I was worried about the GRE exam and the scores needed, but he took my fears down a notch. I never realized the importance of the personal statement for graduate school before meeting with him. I have to take time and sit down and outline my reasons for graduate school, including what I hope to gain and what I could bring to the department.
Things seem to be moving at a rapid speed at this moment, graduation is in May. Deadlines for everything seem to be around the same time.
Things seem to be moving at a rapid speed at this moment, graduation is in May. Deadlines for everything seem to be around the same time.
Last week was a back and forth pitfall with trying to find interviews. I had one set-up but it fell through and then I got another and got stood up. And then...
Our lovely Mrs. Dade, gave me a contact that she knew, Chief Brown. I sent him a couple of e-mails and left messages at the police department but didn't hear anything until Sunday around 7:30p.m and at the time I was at work and didn't get off until 11:00p.m. He left a voicemail and he stated that he didn't know my assignment was due at midnight last Sunday until Mrs. Dade mentioned it at church! Thanks ANGELA! So I sent him an e-mail Monday morning while at work and now we are in the stages of trying to find time to actually do the interview.
This week has mostly been about getting into Graduate School. I also got the chance to speak to Dr. Erez in the CLJ Department. I explained to her my worries and what I was working on for my senior class and she said she would love to see me in Graduate School! Hopefully all the great feedback I am receiving is a sign that I will be able to get into Graduate School!
This class has truly allowed me to outline what steps I need to take to reach my goal. My ultimate goal wont come to fruition for another 5-10 years, but my current goal is getting into Graduate School and I wont stop until I receive that acceptance letter.
Even though this week was hectic, I got the chance to speak to two wonderful professors. I know now that I need to push myself even harder :)

Great work this week!!! You will inevitably hit brick walls (remember the Last Lecture?), but what matters is that you keep pressing forward. That's what you did this week and I am very proud of you!
ReplyDeleteI love the statement, "I won't stop until I receive the acceptance letter"! I believe that will do it!
ReplyDelete