Dave
Why did you become a police officer?
He states, "I became a police officer because my twin brother was shot over twenty times by gang members". All because he did not want to join a gang. I vowed that I would find his killers and to this day I have found one and I am working on the others. I have a personal vendetta against people who harm others. I joined the force for personal reasons, but as I trained and entered the force I noticed that I could help others and help solve crimes and its a very rewarding experience.
What steps did you take to become a police officer?
At the time that I became a police officer, the age requirement was a 18 and you did not need that much college. But now things have changed drastically. There are so many steps and rules to become a officer, you cant be discouraged. Now you must be at least 21, in good shape, a Bachelor's Degree, and not a speck of a criminal record. The reason why the rules are so stringent is because at one point in the 70's and 80's, gang members had infiltrated the police department, unbeknown est to the Captain.
Were there times where you did not want to be a police officer?
Of course. The moment I am dispatched to a crime scene of children. I have two kids of my own and I have to take a step back and breath and remember this is my job and I going to see some heinous and sad things. My first call as a rookie was to the crime scene where a mother flung her newborn out of the window because he wouldn't stop crying. At the time my girlfriend was pregnant with our first baby. I couldn't look at the baby, I couldn't go into the apartment I stayed in the car and threw up. My partner whom was a veteran, came to the car and slapped me in the face. He yelled WAKE UP, this is reality. If you cant handle this, you cant handle the other crazy shit in Chicago. From that point on, I knew that I had to push on. I bit my lip and processed the scene.
Retired Remote Terminal Operator (Youth Division of Police Department)
Beverly
Why did you become a RTO in the youth division?
Crime and criminal behavior has always intrigued me. It boggles the mind what people are capable of doing to each other. Its even more perplexing what people do to children they gave birth to.
How did you become a RTO/ what do you do?
Well, I was 23 and was downtown with a friend putting in random job applications. At the time I was going to Business School. I went to city hall and read the job description and qualifications and applied. Within a week I was called to come in a take the typing test. I passed and they placed me in the Youth Division. A RTO, inputs data from police reports into a computer system for a audit trail of crimes done by youths or crimes done to youths in Chicago. We have millions and millions of files of some of the most horrific crimes.
* I was told a few of the crimes, due to privacy I will not post the crimes*
Were there any times you did not want to work in the Youth Division?
Not at all, I knew this was the place I was going to retire from. Other jobs did not give me a since of fulfillment the way this job did. I wouldn't change the long hours of putting everything together for anything in the world.
Analysis of Interviews
I learned from both interviews that Law Enforcement takes patience and dedication. I understand that by entering into this field I will come across things I have never seen or heard before in my life and I have to hve the strength to push through and complete the case.

This was great!
ReplyDeleteWow! You had great interviews this week!
ReplyDelete